Brendablog

I am a stay-at-home Catholic mom trying to live my life according to God's will.

Friday, July 18, 2008

Day One of the Maker's Diet Complete

We started the Maker's Diet yesterday. It wasn't too bad. Thursdays are fast days anyway so the only thing we had was dinner. For those of you who don't know, the Maker's Diet was, not developed, but promoted by a man named Jordan Rubin. He was suffering from Crohn's Disease and apparently it helped with his symptoms. He was on the brink of death and has now recuperated fully. He gives the credit of his recovery to God and this diet (which is based on the dietary guidelines in the Old Testament).

It is similar to the Atkins Diet in that you avoid processed carbohydrates and similar to the Feingold Diet in that you avoid foods artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives (though the FD has more specific preservatives you should avoid.) You are also supposed to avoid pig products, shellfish (including lobster, shrimp, and crawfish), and any fish without scales. I'm ok with that part because I don't like those things anyway. My husband learned of this diet and has been wanting to try it for a while but thought it would be difficult unless the whole house was doing it. It is difficult if you are trying to eat specific foods when there are people in your household who aren't. Especially if you aren't the cook.

It is broken down into three phases, which total forty days. According to what Josh has heard the first phase is the most difficult to get through. Apparently your body goes through some sort of withdrawal. I will let you all know how I do.

Our main goal in this diet is not to lose weight, though that will be awesome, but to be healthier. Josh and I have already started exercising. He tries to walk about seven miles a day and has gone over 100 miles since he started. Allison and I have been going swimming every day and I swim laps. I also learned some water aerobics moves and look forward to starting those as well.

I am excited to see the results of this change in our life. I hope that I can stay excited during our first forty days and beyond!

1 Comments:

  • At 9:27 AM, Blogger flobi said…

    Oh gosh honey, I don't go 7 miles a day, I've been going a couple miles a day on average, though with more off than on days, I do end up doing 7 miles when I get out there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home